Wednesday, October 10, 2018

fall confusion

Fall in SoCal is basically what I feel an ideal summer should be. There's usually a high of 80 degrees and it cools down at night and you can open up the windows in the morning and evening. I just feel confused as to what I'm supposed to wear. I'm not complaining. We still have the best weather in the country all year 'round hands down.

Growing up with a very fashion aware sister, I feel like I'm not allowed to wear open toed shoes or shorts in the fall, even when it is 85 degrees out. And because I know the rules of fashion, I really should follow them as a nod to my sister and all the times she spent yelling at me about not wearing black in the spring or boots in the summer. So, lately, I wear close toed shoes, jeans with holes in them to air out my legs and sleeveless shirts because I think that's allowed all year around. Skirts are also a good way to obey the rules of fall I think... Most people in SoCal wear whatever they want because they can. They don't have an inner Wendy reminding them that uggs and sundresses should not ever be worn together. Ever.

Oh but one thing I would like to share is that jean jackets go with everything. Well, they don't really go with jeans but jeans go with everything so there you go. If you have a jean jacket, your dilemma of which sweater/jacket to wear will be pretty much nonexistent. The possibilities are endless. Jean jackets go great with skirts, dresses, pants and they even go over long sleeves if you want to layer. And they are available at most thrift stores for a fraction of the price. Got me one last year and I cannot believe the joy it has brought me.



On to highlights of the week.

By far the cutest age group on the soccer field are the 4's and 5's. They are so entertaining. They rarely know which direction to kick the ball and they usually travel in a pack. 
In the middle of the last game, the coach squatted down to tie the shoelaces of one of the little boys. Addie looked over and saw her opportunity and quickly ran over there and sat down on that squatting coaches leg, which made the coach fall over of course. Welcome to my world coach. 

Addie has a whole fan club over there. As soon as she walks onto the property, several older girls and boys are calling her name. Addie! Addie! Addie! Over here! It's like she's famous or something. Mya gets so irritated. "Ugh, why does everyone love Addie so much?" she says. 

This pic is from last week but it clearly illustrates my words. 


Saturday morning, after we arrived at soccer, Winter decided that she regretted her decision not to play soccer with her sisters. I told her it was too late to join now. All the jerseys had already been ordered and the last day to register was weeks ago. She begged me just to ask and see. I told her she could talk to the soccer leaders and it was totally up to them. And they would probably say no. So she did. Turns out they had an extra orange uniform just her size and were totally fine with her joining Mya's team. She wore heeled boots to the field so we borrowed some cleats and shin guards from a friend who played at 9:00. Her game was at 10:00. I gave her my water bottle and she was good to go. She actually played better than I've ever seen her play. 

We have to pay for one more kid to join which does not help our budgeting goals but I'm glad she decided to play. Kids can learn tons of lessons from team sports. I'm a fan. haha 

Mya welcomed her little sis to the team happily. She's nice like that.

(photo credit - Stacy Thompson)

Mom took Mya up to Wendy's in Bako for the weekend to celebrate her birthday. Her actual birthday was in August but we waited for the first long weekend available so she could spend a few days up there doing all of her favorite things. Baking, painting, thrift store shopping and apparently dress up? Not sure why she's is wearing this or why she brought it to Wendy's... She had a blast though!


The girls are in a harder gymnastics class now. I love to see their personalities come out in the way they face challenges. Mya is so strong. I've never seen any other kid climb up the rope with such ease. And she's a perfectionist in all the different areas and is usually hard on herself. She will often practice at home to get it right the next time.


Winter doesn't have as much upper body strength but she hikes up her leotard to expose her thighs and uses her thigh friction to help her get up to the top. She's usually not hard on herself. You will often find her laughing hysterically at the way she totally messed up her running cartwheel.



Angus is now riding his bike with no training wheels! I guess that balance bike was the way to go. Dan and I realized after Angus started riding with no training wheels that his big sis, Addie, still needs her training wheels... wups, we skipped a child. It's cool, she's not really a fan of riding her bike anyway. And she is smaller than Angus so we are going in order if you're going by weight...


Another first this week, Angus got his teeth cleaned for the first time. He did great. He rarely lets me brush his teeth for more than a few seconds before he bites down on the toothbrush so I didn't have high hopes for the dentist. BUT, the hygienist did sing Wheels On The Bus as she cleaned his teeth so he let her. I don't know if I'm willing to sing while I brush his teeth. But I'm glad the visit went well. She kept calling him Spider Man (because of his shirt) or papa (because that is what people call little boys now) and every time he would correct her. "My name is ANUS!"



No comments:

Post a Comment