Wednesday, October 30, 2019

recommendations

Our house is coming together. The whole family is getting really ready to be done with all of this house remodel stuff. It's all good things happening to our house. Everything is getting better and nicer. But the decisions that go along with all of that are exhausting. And the inconvenience of the house being out of order here and there is getting pretty old.

But I am aware that this a problem most people cannot afford to have, so I go along each day sucking it up and telling myself to stop acting like a spoiled brat. Just being honest. I'm excited to post pics of the end result. We're going to have a nice home, free of duct-taped couches and bruised walls and scratched up floors.

Our walls will be updated with photos. Addie and Angus haven't noticed that all of our family photos that decorate our walls are about 7 years old, which excludes them completely. What I'm saying is, we went big. We went big as much as we could. I can't wait to start making some memories in our new home. We're almost there...

Anyway, I'm going in a different direction this Wednesday. This is a post filled with my recommendations... mostly podcasts.

First recommendation: Do not take your 4-year-old son to Pier 1 Imports. I'd never been to that store before yesterday. I'd also never seen so many breakable things in one store before, well besides BevMo. It was very stressful. This was the only safe spot. Also, Christmas exploded there... so if you're into expensive Christmassy decorative things, Pier 1 is your spot.


Next recommendation: Podcasts.

I love podcasts. They have made my life better. If you're into podcasts, which I've only recently begun listening to, I have some recommendations. Mari first got me started of course and told me which ones I'd like. And then those podcasters suggested other podcasts. And I stumbled on some others. Here are some of my faves if you're looking for some new ones or if you've never listened to podcasts before and don't know where to start. Music is always on at our house. As a result, I get bored of listening to the same stuff, so I like listening to podcasts in the car or while doing laundry or working out at the gym. They're also good if you're taking your kids somewhere that's boring for mom like the park or the pool.

I've tried to list these in order of how much I like them. I have other podcasts in my rotation but these are the most consistently good. If you're looking for secular podcasts, stick with 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5. If you prefer Christian podcasts, stick with 6 and 7. They are all pretty clean except #5.

1. Sorta Awesome - This is probably my favorite - It's a podcast for women that discusses mostly lighter topics like the new things they're loving this fall. The main lady that hosts it is a Catholic mom of 5. The episodes are usually about an hour.

2. The Popcast (with Knox and Jamie) - This is a super hilarious podcast basically making fun of celebrities and pop culture in a fun lighthearted way. I like it because normally I don't know about anything going on in Hollywood, by choice. But I still get to hear about what's happening and what movies are good or bad and it's all wrapped up in an hour-long episode. The two hosts are a hilarious married dad and a hilarious single lady. They are both Christians from the south with lots of sass.

3. The Lazy Genius - This one is hosted by a Christian mom of 3. It's not really a Christian podcast or a mom podcast. It's a podcast for everyone. It's super practical with tons of ways to better your life through routines, cooking, planners etc. The episodes are about 20 minutes. 

4. Office Ladies - This is a brand new podcast hosted by Pam and Angela from the office. I forget their names in real life... Jenna Fisher and Angela something maybe? The internet is one click away and yet I don't feel like looking it up. This podcast is delightful. These two ladies take the office episode by episode and give fun little backstories, anecdotes and fun facts about the cast. I've been loving it. They both seem super normal and down to earth people. I highly recommend checking it out if you watched the office at all. 

5. Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard - I've only listened to a handful of these because they are really long. Like 2 hours. So maybe listen to one on a long drive, or to and from work if you have a long commute. Dax Shepard (actor, writer, director) interviews famous people. I loved the first one with his wife, Kristen Bell, and I loved the episode with Gwenyth Paltrow. He's a vulnerable and entertaining interviewer and the guests always seem to enjoy themselves and open up to him. This one has explicit language so maybe don't listen with kids in the car.


6. Parenting On Purpose (with Dr. Bob Barnes) - These are short 15 minute episodes so I like to listen to them on my way back home after I drop the kids off at school. This podcast is hosted by Dr. Bob Barnes who talks about tons of different parenting issues from a Christian perspective. I find his advice very easy to understand and easy to apply in my own parenting. 


7. The Bible Binge - This one is hosted by the same two awesome people who host The Popcast, Knox and Jamie. I love this one because even though I grew up learning about stories from the bible, I learn so much more from these two. If you were to assign two of your funniest friends the task of researching a story in the bible and then giving you a play by play, this is what you'd get. 

I'd love to answer any questions you have about any of these.

TV recommendations:

Right now, I'm a faithful viewer of Grey's Anatomy, This is Us, Outlander, and A Handmaids Tale. I rarely start watching anything new on TV.  I often give new shows a try but soon quit them if they aren't really good. I'd honestly rather sleep than watch an okay show.

But recently, I've been liking a series on Amazon Prime Video. It's called Modern Love. It's really good. I've only seen the first 3 episodes. I can tell when I'm watching something good if I'm still awake after 9:30PM watching it. It has a romantic comedy feel to it. It is very well written and the actors change from episode to episode. Two thumbs up.

Also, I started watching Parks and Rec. I loved The Office so much and people told me I'd like Parks and Rec if I liked The Office but I thought there was no way I could like something like The Office because it would make me sad that The Office ended. But alas, I did start watching Parks and Rec and lo and behold I did like it very much. If The Office is a 10, I'd give Parks and Rec at least an 8, maybe a 9, and that says something I think.

Costco recommendations:  This Salad. It's very fall and very delicious.


Dan mentioned 3 times while eating this that he very much liked it. He's pretty picky. I'll consume any soup and love it. So I decided to include this one here. 


Trader Joe's Recommendation:

You can't walk into Trader Joe's these days without encountering 5,000 pumpkin-flavored somethings. Pumpkins have taken over TJ's. But I LOVE this salsa. I just eat it with tortilla chips but you could do so much with it. I eat salsa with eggs and potatoes too so this would bring a festive element to breakfast as well. It's not spicy. It has a tiny kick. I ate half the bottle in one sitting. That was mostly because we didn't have any food in the house but I would still recommend it. 


Happy Halloween Eve! I'm not a huge fan of Halloween, mostly because I have to find 4 costumes without spending a small fortune every year, but I do like watching the kids' parade at school. It's pretty cute. 



No comments:

Post a Comment