Saturday, April 18, 2020

still here

I think I must have gone through the stages of quarantine or something... panic, confusion, hoarding, anxiety, denial, sadness and I think now I'm in the stage of acceptance. For now at least. This week was good. It helped that the sun was out. We are all kind of getting used to our new weird life. The kids and I ran some errands Thursday. They were all so happy to go for a drive. They rolled down the windows and checked out the scenery and cars passing by. Nothing new going on here. The kids are doing online school, Dan's doing outside projects and I'm doing... laundry, dishes, helping with school work and running the occasional errand. But mostly I just stared at the puzzle below putting in a piece about every 15 minutes or so. I've been walk-running when Dan's home. I run every other song and walk every other song. I'm not fully ready to commit to a full run yet. 

Favorite quotes this week: 

Winter: Can we just pause Coronavirus so I can give baby Eric a hug? (Our little next-door neighbor)

Ten minutes after driving through CVS to get some prescriptions, Addie asked: Can I have my fries now? Not super observant, that one. 


Winter loves her some cucumbers. After she uses them to relax, she eats them.


The night before Easter, Addie wanted me to read the Easter story from one of her favorite kids' storybooks. It inspired her to build a tomb in her bed to sleep in just like Jesus did. She was so excited to wake up Sunday morning, emerge from the tomb and celebrate Easter.


We watched church on TV in the morning then we did an Easter egg hunt downstairs since it was sprinkling outside. After the hunt it looked like we were robbed. They tore the place apart. I made them all raise their right hand and promise not to fight, cry, break stuff or complain. I think it helped but there were still tears in the end when certain kids didn't get as many as others. They were over it quickly and opened up their eggs.

Photo credit: Mya


I love watching Dan and Angus work together. Angus is very serious about it.



I like to send the kids down the street to the grassy area by the mailbox for picnics. Just far away enough that they are out of earshot but I can still see them. 


I introduced Winter to friendship bracelets. 


Mya was so bored that she separated the legos into colors.


We're avoiding Costco right now and my shampoo was getting low so I took a bunch of half-used shampoo bottles I've been storing in my bathroom cabinet and combined them into this big guy. That's what I did Tuesday.


This puzzle had its ups and downs and I learned a lot. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't. Thanks Auntie Wendy! #deathbysloth


These two have become closer through this whole thing if that's possible.


Recommendations this week:

I love these veggie buffalo wings. These have the texture of a chicken nugget. They are crunchy on the outside and they have a little kick. They aren't that spicy. I'm kind of medium spice person. I can't take stuff that's too spicy and these aren't too much for me. I cook them in the toaster oven so they are crunchy on the outside. I usually put them in salad. You can find them in the frozen section of most grocery stores. I get them from Walmart pickup these days. 



These are the best cookies I've ever made which isn't saying much because I don't usually make cookies. But I've eaten cookies my whole life and I'm really happy with these. We're going on the 3rd day and they are just as good as they were the first day. Here's the recipe. 
Instead of two cups of chocolate chips, I used one cup of white chocolate chips and one cup of broken up Hershey bar pieces. That's what I had in the pantry. Oh and also I only had a half cup of brown sugar instead of a full cup so I just added more white sugar instead. And I toasted the walnuts on the stove so it gave them that toasted taste. Also, I only baked them for 9 minutes instead of 10. The texture is perfect. I can't stop eating them which is a problem. It's fine because I don't really need to fit into tight jeans right now. Sweats are very forgiving.


My TV recommendation is Self Made, season one on Netflix. It was really good. I recommend it. And I rewatched "About Time" on Netflix. It's such a feel-good movie. I'll probably watch it again. I rarely rewatch movies but it really makes me appreciate the little things in life that I love.

That's it. I hope your weekend is filled with good things and thankfulness. I'm thankful that on Wednesday things are going to start heating up and it'll be in the 80s for like a week which will feel like summer and summer reminds me of barbeques, swimming and warm summer nights when the kids play outside until bedtime. 
Happy Saturday!






No comments:

Post a Comment