Saturday, January 9, 2016

suck it up buttercup




This isn't the sweetest slogan I've ever seen. But I love it. I think it is mostly used for workout clothing these days but I've found that it is helpful in my little world at home as well. My friend Jessica bought a shirt with the slogan on it while she was going through a rough time and I thought, what an awesome way to deal. What she wanted to do was give up but she chose to go another route.

My sister used to say all the time growing up, nobody likes a whiner! I said it to someone in the 3rd grade and the teacher was shocked that something like that came out of my sweet little mouth. 

I cannot tell you how big of a whiner I have been for the better part of 2015. I know I was a big fat complainer while I was pregnant. And after the baby was born, the griping hit an all time high. The pile of dishes and laundry grew, any me time I had left disappeared and I learned the meaning of exhaustion, the kind that goes on for months. 

In reality, I have nothing to complain about. I really don't. I have everything I've ever wanted. I have a husband who loves me... a lot for some reason, four healthy beautiful babies, a beautiful home and a good job that provides well so that I can be a stay-at-home-mommy.

I don't know what I expected before I had all of this. Maybe that it would be easy? Or maybe not this hard. Either way it doesn't really matter. This is my life. My God given life. And I can choose to live it with my eyes constantly rolling or I can take a deep breath and face each day with a can do attitude.

Life's hard, yeah yeah. I guess I'm just sick of hearing myself complain about it. I'm not saying it's bad to share your problems with your friends and family. I'm talking about living in a constant state of negativity with no real problems to speak of. 

I've come up with a little list of reasons why I shouldn't whine in 2016.


1. It's annoying to others. Nobody likes a Debbie Downer. I know I like to be around people that are generally happy and see the good in things. Those kinds of people tend to put me in a better mood. 

2. Whining gives me a bad attitude. The more I complain, the more I agree with myself. Then I see more things to complain about.

3. Whining is not what God wants. 
1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, "Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 
Philippians 2:14 says "Do all things without grumbling or questioning." 
Pretty clear.

4. I'm not setting a good example for my kids when I complain. I'm constantly getting on them for complaining about stupid things like having too much cream cheese on their bagel or not having the latest toy. I need to practice what I preach.

So there you have it. This is the new me. The noncomplainer. 

I've read so many well meaning blog posts and books that talk about how we should give ourselves a break because being a mom is hard. Whatever! Suck it up buttercup! haha love it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment