Saturday, January 16, 2016

working 9 to 5

I'm always trying to come up with new ways to get more done each day. I told Dan the other day that I need a new plan. There has got to be a way to have four kids AND a clean house. His response was, "Good luck with that." My newest plan is this. I've chosen to think of my days as normal work days. Like I'm getting paid for this. Like a have an imaginary boss around the corner that could drop by at any moment. Because I work at home, this gets confusing but I think I've pretty much figured it out. It sounds kinda nutty but desperate times call for desperate measures... like pretending.

So I start my day at 7:00 because that's when I really have to start getting the kids in get ready for school mode. I'm up before 6:00 so I can have some coffee and wake up a little before I get really motivated. I've never been a morning person... or a night person for that matter. So my day starts at 7:00 like I said. I'm making breakfast, lunches, checking backpacks, changing and dressing the babies, throwing on an outfit myself and getting everyone out the door by 7:30.

My lunch break is Addie's nap. That kid is so much work. If I was to charge by the hour, she would be at least $20. I usually put her down around noon then try to put Angus down if he hasn't had a good nap by then. I make my lunch and sit down on the couch for a bit. Sometimes I blog if both babies are down.

I've decided that my work day ends at 4:00. That's pretty much when I have nothing left to give, physically, mentally and emotionally. Mya and I have usually had some words and tears by 4:00 over homework, reading, attitude, or something like that. Addie is in eat every snack in sight/meltdown mode and Angus must be held. So I like to get the kids out of the house and outside if possible. I also like to have a glass of wine or a cup of tea depending on the weather.

Monday through Friday, Between 7:00 and 4:00 I am at work, besides my lunch break of course. I am doing something productive that falls under mom or wife duties like dishes, laundry, grocery shopping, helping with homework, putting away Christmas decorations etc. I have found that I get much more done this way. A lot of my day is just keeping Addie happy with snacks, books, blocks, YouTube baby/doggie shows or anything else she feels like that day. 

A few times a day I find that all the kids are happy and I am left with free hands, wondering what I should do with them. My first thought is to sit on the couch and look at Facebook, Amazon, Pinterest or check my email. (People were SO much more productive before smart phones) But that's not what one is supposed to do when they are on the clock. Their boss would have to reprimand them. This actually works well and I accomplish more each day than I would if I wasn't in work mode. 

Of course my work day never really ends. I'm still doing dishes, laundry and cleaning up the house well after the kids go to bed. And I'm on call all night. But I figure those are normal things that people come home to after work right?

We'll see how long this lasts for me. I think it has a good chance of sticking. On a normal day/week, this may actually work to help get the house under control. It seems like there's always something getting in the way like crazy December or the stomach flu (Winter got it last week) BUT I am determined to keep trying! 


No comments:

Post a Comment