Friday, February 10, 2017

Wedding oranges

3 minutes ago
Details
I left the younger 3 with a babysitter so I could take Mya to a birthday party where my presence was required and Dan was working that day.

I told winter she could make "lemonade" with the clementine oranges that were starting to look wrinkly. I don't know why they sell those things by the bag. We only need like 5. The rest always go bad. The babysitter texted me to make sure winter was telling the truth (always a good idea) about using all the oranges to make lemonade. I told her she could.

 I came home to a very excited winter who had made about  five bucks on what I assumed was 15 handsqueezed clementines, a cup of sugar and a gallon of water. Basically orange flavored sugar water. Yum. She said our next door neighbor didn't want any lemonade (smart lady) but gave her a dollar anyway. And her friend Kendall tried some and was not impressed. She said it was not lemonade but watered down orange juice.

Another neighbor, however, absolutely loved it. Winter said she even asked for the recipe. Awe how sweet, I thought. What a nice lady to make Winter feel so special.

I talked to that neighbor later that day and she actually loved the "lemonade." She asked me if it was a family recipe. She called it super refreshing and asked me if Winter used organic sugar.

Then she asked me about the special oranges we brought back from a ranch we visited when we attended a wedding recently. Winter told her that everyone at the wedding went orange picking afterward and we picked about 100 oranges. What a fabulous wedding that would be I have to admit.

Too bad it was purely fictional. I explained to her that I got the special oranges (AKA clementines) at Trader Joe's and the only other ingredients were water and sugar and I have no idea how much sugar she used because I didn't supervise this batch but she usually puts as much as I let her.

I had yet ANOTHER talk with Winter about stories and how it's not okay to trick people into believing your story when it's not true.

Part of me wishes I didn't have to correct her because it's pretty entertaining when grownups totally believe her tall tales. But I'm the mom... so I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment