Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Foot in mouth

Mya had to switch schools at the beginning of this year because her previous school became too full and we are at the bottom of the priority list since we live in Azusa and go to Glendora schools. There are five elementary schools in Glendora. And because this one (our new school) is located below the tracks so to speak, it is not the most desired school.  Basically North Glendora has more money than South Glendora. But all five schools score pretty high and are very good schools in general.

As soon as I found out we were going to be switched to the new school I contacted my buddy who happens to teach there and asked to be in her class and was ecstatic when she said she could be Mya's teacher. It made the transition a piece of cake. And I like the car line situation a whole lot more at the school we go to now. There are fewer students, a better teacher to student ratio and fewer cars picking them up. They have a fabulous staff and we are pretty happy there.

I was talking to another mom who also was switched to the same school as us from our previous school. Her son was in Mya's class at our old school. She was asking me what I thought of the new school and I said "I like it a lot.  However, it is definitely a rougher crowd." She replied with "Totally!" From very Mayberry types of  families, we both noticed a more edgy side of Glendora. Then I chose to keep going, which was a mistake. I believe I said something along the lines of, "There seem to be a lot more tattoos here!" (Parents not students. It's an elementary school.)

It was a fair statement to make. There are definitely more tattoos at this school than the previous one, however there is nothing wrong with tattoos. In fact, I would love to have one if I could ever settle on something I could live with on my body for the rest of my life. I love tattoos... in moderation.

She laughed at my comment and then our kids came out and we said bye and started to walk away. As she reached for her son, I noticed a big fat tattoo on her forearm. Dammit.

If my teens and 20s have taught me anything, it is not to speak negatively about people because it usually gets back to the person I am talking about or it comes out wrong and I offend someone without meaning to or I hurt someones feelings. I've also learned to be mindful about what I'm saying in case it is taken the wrong way... most of the time.

I'm lucky that she does not offend easily because she's still super friendly to Dan and me. A few days later I saw her talking to another mom who also has a tattoo. See?

No comments:

Post a Comment