Thursday, October 3, 2013

christmas vases

This marks the beginning of my many crafts I will be doing for Christmas. I will be having baby #3 around Thanksgiving so I am not going to have time to do them after that. I have about 10 different crafts I want to do. I may be a little ambitious but we will see how many I get done. I work on them at nap time and night time so that's a few hours a day.

*CRAFT TIP: To cover your table before crafting you can use a trash bag cut open or a table cloth from the $1 store. I buy a few every time I go. They come in handy for kids crafts too.

This is my first craft. I found it on Pinterest like most of the others I will be doing. DIY Christmas vases made from wine bottles. Here's the link I used:

http://www.favecrafts.com/Wine-Bottle-Crafts/Snowball-Wine-Bottle-Vases

Here's the finished product:




Materials:

Wine bottles or sparkling apple cider bottles. (Beer bottles would work great too for smaller vases)
White paint or primer
Epsom salts (cheapest at Target on the first-aid aile)
Spray glue (found at any craft store)
Glitter (optional)
Decorative sticks to put in vases (optional)

*I spent about $10 on everything (spray glue, glitter & decorative sticks) I already had bottles, paint and Epsom salts.

I've been collecting bottles for this for several months. If I would have known, I would have only collected the newer bottles because the labels come off MUCH easier.



Step 1 - (the hardest step I think) Remove the labels. I've researched many different techniques for this. This is my favorite. It's easy, it doesn't require any special materials and it works pretty well most of the time.. The older bottles can be stubborn and require an extra step I'll mention later.

To remove the labels, fill the sink with hot soapy water and completely submerge the bottles. My sink is only able to fit 4 at a time. Fill up the bottles with hot water first so they will sink. The soap and hot water should weaken the glue that holds the label on the bottle.

 
Wait 10 minutes then drain the sink. Use the rough side of a sponge to scrape the labels off. Some of them fall off and some require a little more work. For the stubborn ones, I used acetone. You can try nail polish remover or goo be gone or goof off found at any hardware store. I got the acetone at Home Depot for nail polish remover so I had it on hand. But again, if you use newer bottles, the labels will come off pretty easily.
 
 
 
Step 2 - Paint the bottles white. First dry off the bottles of course. Then paint your bottles. I used primer. We had some in the garage and it worked pretty well. It's pretty cheap at Home Depot. You can get a tiny can of it for a few bucks. (Paintbrushes are cheapest there too) I used two coats. It doesn't have to be super pretty because you are going to cover it up with glitter and Epsom salts. Here's Mya modeling the painted bottles :-)
 
 
Step 3 - Spray glue on the bottles and cover with glitter & Epsom salts. Spray glue can be found at a craft store like Michael's. Epsom salts are cheapest by far at Target. They are under $3 for a half gallon size. I used a cookie sheet to put the glitter and Epsom salts in. I covered the tray with foil first then covered it with Epsom salts. I generously sprinkled glitter all over the salts. A little goes a long way so it's really up to you how much you use. 
 
 
 
Roll the bottles around and coat them with the mixture. I had to re-spray some of the "bald" parts where the salts and glitter didn't attach to the bottle then sprinkle more salts and glitter to evenly coat it. As you do more bottles, the salts and glitter kind of stick together and it becomes a little more difficult to get an even coat but they all turned out pretty good.
 
 
 
I also got some little decorative sticks to put in the bottles just like I saw in the website I pinned. You can find them all over these days because the holidays are coming. I got mine at Michael's.
 
 
 I saved the leftover salts and glitter to sprinkle on the tray I will display them on. They would look best in a well lit room where the light can reflect off of the salts and glitter.
 
 
I enjoyed this craft. Even though there were several steps, they were easy. And it didn't require too much talent. Nothing had to be perfect and they turned out great.


No comments:

Post a Comment