Friday, October 4, 2013

sock wreath

Craft #2 - Christmas Sock Wreath

This was SUPER cheap because I already had all the socks. It was a great idea for me because I never wear those fuzzy socks I've received for the last few years but didn't have the heart to throw them out. I only wear the ones with grippers so I don't slip and fall on my wood floor :-) In the blog below, she buys some Christmas socks from the $1 store.

Here's my finished product:

 
Here's the link I used: http://wipkits.blogspot.com/2010/12/sock-wreaths.html

Materials:
Foam tubing ($1.50 at any hardware store)
Paper towels or tissue paper
Duct tape
Christmas socks
Thick Christmas ribbon (optional)
My total cost for this project was $1.50 for the foam tubing. I had everything else. 

It only took like 30 minutes (with kid distractions) and there wasn't any clean up. This is the cheapest, easiest craft I think I've ever made.

Step 1 - Cut tubing and fill with paper towels. I purchased foam tubing at Lowes (on the plumbing aisle) and cut in half. So it makes two wreaths. It doesn't make a great circle because it's hollow but I filled it with toilet paper and that made it work. You could also use tissue paper. It may slide through the middle easier. The toilet paper was kind of hard to push through. I used a broom handle to push it in when it would get stuck.

 

Step 2 - gather 4 pairs of socks and cut the toes out.



Step 3 - Scrunch them onto your tubing covering the cut sides with the hemmed sides of the socks. I used 4 pairs of fluffy socks.


Step 4 - Use duct tape to fasten the two sides of your tubing together. I actually redid my duct tape after I took this picture. It wasn't on tight enough. I had my hubby hold the ends together tightly while I taped. It made a much better circle. Then move socks over the tape and make it pretty.



The girl in the blog I provided used an extra sock and made it into a bow. I just used ribbon to decorate it. (I was just at Costco today and they are selling fat Christmas ribbon, 50 yards for $7 - super great deal)



No comments:

Post a Comment