Wednesday, October 2, 2013

homemade croutons

The other day I mentioned to my friend Mari that Vons has not been carrying my whole wheat croutons. She suggested I make them. My response was something like, "Yeah probably not."

I love croutons. I put them on my salads and in my soup. I feel that no salad or soup is complete without croutons. I am a texture person so everything has to have something crunchy in it. And with cold weather just around the corner I will need croutons for my soup more than ever.

This morning, I had too much caffeine so I got into a make-stuff mood and made smoothies, zucchini bread and then thought I would look up how to make croutons. It didn't sound too complicated so I tried it. Here's the link I used for the recipe:

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/6887/croutons 

I like allrecipes.com. They have a lot of simple tried and true, passed down from your grandma type recipes.

I usually freeze my bread crusts because no one eats them and throwing them out is such a waste. Unfortunately, our freezer had a meltdown (literally ha!) and we lost everything. So in the future I will already have bread for this so it's basically free! :D

First, I laid out 15 pieces of bread, spread melted butter on both sides, then sprinkled a generous amount of garlic salt on them.

 
Next I cut them up into little cubes and spread them out on two ungreased cookie sheets.
 

I baked them in the oven for 15 mins at 350 degrees and voila! They turned out great.



Now, obviously, you don't have to make this much but as I stated earlier, I LOVE me some croutons! I will eat every last one. Time for lunch. Thanks for the idea Mari!




No comments:

Post a Comment