Monday, October 14, 2013

stones & anchors

I just got back from the Church of the Open Door Women's Retreat. I realize many ladies did not get to go and I would hate hearing about what an awesome time everyone had if I wasn't able to go. So I thought I would share what I brought home with me.

I did have an amazing time and feel truly blessed to be a part of such an amazing body of believers. These women are real, honest, down to earth, flesh and blood, Christ loving ladies. My favorite thing about COD women is that no one is pretending to be something she is not. Everyone is open about their faults and accepting of others. Feeling that way allows me to be open and honest about my life as well. It makes it easier to connect with others at the church.

There were two speakers from our church who shared with the group. They were amazing. Lindsay gave some great illustrations that were super helpful because I am a visual learner. It's easy for me to tune someone out accidentally and start thinking about something totally unrelated like something interesting someone else said earlier that day. It really helps me focus when speakers have pictures and props.

Lindsay's theme was "let go and let God." She brought a bunch of stones and written on the stones were things that steal our focus from Jesus like fear, worry, money, relationships, to do lists, loneliness, housework, job stuff etc. She piled them in the hands of one volunteer.

Use your imagination and picture those things written on these stones =)

 
She could barely hold them all. Then in another volunteer's hands, she placed just one stone and written on it was "Jesus." There is no room for Him when our hands are filled with all of those other stones.

She had great suggestions to get rid of the "stones" that continued to steal our focus like placing verses in our pockets that we could look at throughout the day when we feel one of those other stones creeping up and taking over our thoughts. Also, simply saying to ourselves, "That thought is not from God, that's me talking" when we start thinking thoughts that are not healthy and really not helpful. She shared the example most moms can relate to. Having a pity party can really be distracting but so easy to do because as moms, we have so much to do and it never ends and we feel defeated and discouraged so much of the time.

But really taking charge of our thoughts and ending the damaging ones before they get the best of us is really the key. And obviously, it isn't something that happens overnight but eventually we will get better at putting those stones down and just holding onto the one that matters.

Lindsay also used this verse a few times to remind us that God intends so much more for our lives than pity parties and distracting stones. "I have come that they may have life and have it to the full." John 10:10. God has big plans for us but we have to "Yield and relinquish fully to God and rely on His power." (from Lindsay's notes)

The next speaker was Shelly. Shelly gave me the best spiritual metaphor. Christ is our anchor. An anchor can be used in calm or rough waters. It is used in storms to keep the boat from capsizing. It is used in the harbor to keep the boat from drifting. Both are equally important I think. I have seen people drift away slowly from the church. It happens when you are not anchored to Christ and His people. I have also seen storms pull people away because they were simply too big and they did not cling to Christ. Instead they sank. I must have heard this comparison before but for some reason, it really stuck. This weekend I almost became obsessed with the whole anchor thing. I want a necklace with an anchor on it. I want a picture of an anchor to put on my fridge. I want to see anchors daily so I am reminded that He is my anchor.



I don't know if this season of my life would be considered stormy waters. I've certainly been through bigger storms than raising kids but my waters are certainly not calm. I don't really expect to be in the harbor any time soon. From what I hear, children do not become easy and neither does life. I will need Christ to be my anchor always.

After hearing from both ladies, it was hard to pinpoint exactly what was distracting me from being a one stone girl and keeping myself anchored to Christ. So I wrote some thoughts down on paper. I am so mentally foggy these days that I cannot really think unless my thoughts are written or typed out for me to see. That's why I'm so into blogging right now.

Here is what I came up with. They are all centered around my girls, husband and house because that is what my current season of life looks like right now. These are my stones that are consuming my daily thoughts and keeping me from living the life God has for me.

-Frustration with disobedience
-lack of patience
-anger toward my children
-guilt for not responding in love
-regret that I'm missing my kids' little years because I don't appreciate them enough
-frustration with my unclean house, laundry, dishes
-selfish feelings of resentment toward my husband for not helping more
-trying to plan, organize and improve my house and my life
-exhaustion; physical, mental and emotional
-losing touch with friends, family and world around me

These things are not of God. They are my own stones.

Now what?

Well, I can start praying that God focuses my thoughts on Him instead of my own stones. I can put verses in my pocket, purse or car when I'm out and about so I can pull them out and read them when I feel like my attitude needs adjusting. I plan on putting the anchor illustration up somewhere in my house as well. Being in the word daily is huge too. It's pretty much a necessity for being anchored to Christ.

Here are some helpful verses Lindsay gave us to keep handy when we are holding on to stones like the ones below:

Afraid: 2 Tim 1:6,7 and Isaiah 43: 1-2
Weak: Isaiah 40:31
Worry: Matthew 6:19-21, Philippians 4:6, Isaiah 54:10 and John 16:33
Questioning Future: Psalm 84:10, Matthew 6:33, Psalm 139
Sick: Psalm 91
Hatred: Proverbs 10:12
Needing help: Psalm 121:1-2
Sad/stuck: Psalm 40
Treasure on earth vs. treasure on heaven: Matthew 6:19-21
Loneliness: Psalm 139:7-10 and Hebrews 13:5
Miscarriages or loss of hope for another reason: Romans 15:13 and 2 Corinthians 10:5

No comments:

Post a Comment